Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Tampa Family Lawyer
Available 24 Hours a Day
7 Days a Week
Free Confidential
  • facebook
  • linkedin
Tampa Family Lawyer > Tampa Contempt & Enforcement Lawyer

Tampa Contempt & Enforcement Lawyer

When a couple divorces or unmarried parents split up, they are likely dealing with court orders. One person may be ordered to pay child support or alimony to the other. Maybe one parent refuses to follow the parenting plan.

When a person does not follow court orders, they are considered to be in contempt of court. The penalties for contempt of court depend on the crime. Fines and garnishments are common. Jail time may also be ordered. However, in most cases, the person can avoid punishment by simply doing what the court has ordered them to do.

If your ex-spouse is not complying with court orders or you have been accused of contempt, seek legal help from the Faulkner Law Group, PLLC. Our Tampa contempt & enforcement lawyer can help those on either side of these disputes.

Child Support and Alimony Obligations

Most child support obligations are not paid in full — in fact, just 43% of cases are. In the United States, there is a balance of $10 billion in owed child support.

Child custody and parenting plans must be adhered to. If a parent has the financial means to pay child support and willfully does not, the Child Support Program can file a legal action in court to enforce the child support order. The parent may be found in contempt of court.

This means they may be incarcerated until full payment has been made. If a parent violates the custody agreement, they can lose their custody or visitation rights. It’s even possible for them to be charged with child abduction. Not following a child support or custody agreement can affect the health, well-being, and safety of the child.

Just like child support obligations, alimony obligations must be paid on agreed upon. The paying party cannot use any excuse to get out of this obligation.

A person should never ignore their court orders. Modifications are available for those who have suffered significant changes to their finances and can no longer afford to pay child support or alimony. Contact a lawyer for help filing a modification and getting your case heard in court.

What Are the Penalties?

The penalties involved in content will depend on the circumstances of their violations. A person can be forced to pay child support by wage garnishment. They could also have their professional licenses revoked. If a parent continues to violate a parenting plan, their custody or visitation rights can be altered or taken away altogether. Ex-spouses who refuse to pay spousal support in full can be fined. The court can place a lien on their property or they can even be incarcerated.

Contact Us Today

Contempt of court is a frustrating issue to deal with. If your ex-spouse won’t follow court orders, you will want to know what options you have. Seek legal help from the Faulkner Law Group, PLLC can assist you with your military divorce and ensure everything is split fairly. To schedule a consultation with our Tampa contempt & enforcement lawyers, fill out the online form or call (813) 544-3919.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2020 - 2024 Faulkner Law Group, PLLC. All rights reserved.
This law firm website and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.